Monday, November 28, 2011

The Garbage Can at Night

Upper West Side, New York City

Upper West Side, New York City at Night
"Night is certainly more novel and less profane than day." Henry David Thoreau

I was walking back home after a whole day of rain when I captured this photograph. To be honest it was intended to be more of a tourist photograph if you know what I mean, but I ended up with light streaks and the light from the pedestrians reflecting on the wet asphalt. It ended up being a photograph that I enjoyed looking at.

And that is one thing, as I always said before, that baffles me about New York City...that even photographing an almost empty street focusing on a trash can turn out to be beautiful. The element of surprise never seizes in New York City.

I shot this photograph with a cheap Samsung camera and I had to do it fast because it was freezing cold outside. I had no tripod and nothing to place my camera on. Considering that a lot of elements were against me I consider myself lucky to have ended up with a photograph like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment