Thursday, September 22, 2011

When Angels Sing

St.Lawrence Church, Vittoriosa, Malta

Hipstamatic
"Art never seems to make me peaceful or pure." Willem de Kooning
Today I have decided to upload something different, from another country. It's the country I come from, my town in particular. This is a picture of my village church. Malta is a very Catholic country and every town has at least one church dedicated to a certain saint. In total there are 365 churches, exactly one for everyday. In my town, Vittoriosa, the church is dedicated to St.Lawrence.

The church of St.Lawrence is the oldest church in Malta and was built in the 17th Century when the Knights of St.John were still ruling the country.

What you see in the picture is the back part of the church. The organ is all made of wood. What strikes me in this picture is the light. You can tell that the majority of the light is coming from the left side. On the left window you can see light being shined on the two angels painted on the ceiling, but the two on the right side are not as illuminated. It adds contrast and makes the ceiling look more beautiful. The light creating the contrast and the church being basically empty created this eerily peaceful place. I wish I had my DSLR with me on this particular day so I could have more control but  I was only carrying my iPhone with my beloved Hipstamatic app and I think we have done a decent job!

This photograph was captured on my iPhone using the Hipstamatic app. Some minor editing was done in PS CS4. Settings for Hipstamatic were BlacKeys B&W/Lucifer IV

No comments:

Post a Comment