Friday, September 23, 2011

Carry Me Home

5th Avenue, New York City

The Atlas Statue on 5th Avenue New York City
"Every block of stone has a statue inside it and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it." Michelangelo
I have no doubt that every New Yorker has seen this statue and I have no doubt that no matter how many times we walk by it, we always give it a look, whether it is a long stare or just a glimpse. Every time you walk by it, you will use a lot of tourists capturing memorable pictures of this famous statue with the name 'Atlas'.

In Greek mythology, Atlas was a Titan who supported the heavens Usually one could see him carrying a planet but in this particular statue he is carrying circles that represent the planet. It's location is a beautiful one. It is situated right opposite the world famous St.Patrick's Cathedral.

I always felt that there is something mystical with this Atlas statue in New York City. Every time I look at it I sense of a feel of relief. I don't know exactly why it happens but maybe it's because it reminds me that sometimes I am not the only one that is carrying more weight on my shoulders than I need to.

This photograph was captured on my iPhone using the Hipstamatic app. Some minor editing was done in PS CS4. Settings for Hipstamatic were BlacKeys B&W/Lucifer IV

No comments:

Post a Comment