Friday, September 2, 2011

If You Make Your Bed, Sleep In It - Poverty

Broadway Avenue, New York City

Hipstamatic iPhone New York City Pictures
"Poverty is the worst form of violence." Mohandas Gandhi

This photo was captured at Broadway Avenue, Upper West Side and is part of the Hipstamatic photography series of New York, Manhattan.

We are living in the 21st Century, probably with more material things than we ask for. For these people life is difference. Very different. This particular human being has to improvise when it comes to sleeping quarters, while most of us take our bedroom for granted. In the photo below I couldn't help but notice a certain serene glow on his face. Is it because he is comfortable, or is it because he finally found happiness?




The settings on the Hipstamatic camera for this photography series on the Upper West Side of Manhattan were Lucifer VI/BlackKeys SuperGrain for both pictures. Flash was used in the second picture to bring out the glow of his face. Flash used was RedEye Gel.

4 comments:

  1. Somewhat Ironic that the movie poster behind the woman was for Zombieland, excellent pics, you clearly know how to use the camera.
    My camera and photoshop skills suck so I have to get creative

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! Yes I thought it was the perfect second. '30 minutes or less' is also great since he is just basically sleeping on a post that is bend forward and about to fall. So it's like he has 30 minutes or less to sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm addicted to Hipstamatic, so when I was browsing Facebook's hipstamatic page and saw a picture of 86th subway I was immediately drawn to it, since that's my neighborhood. I landed in this blog and saw the homeless pics. They're excellent. I know these guys, specially this last man. He is quite nutty and somewhat aggressive vocally. It's a good thing you caught him sleeping haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment Kep. The 86th is my neighborhood too when I am in NYC and I wouldn't change it with anywhere. It's like you are in NYC but not in NYC at the same time.

    Haha I am now also glad that I caught him sleeping. He wouldn't have been happy with me taking his pictures.

    ReplyDelete