Monday, December 5, 2011

Strait Street

Strait Street, Valletta

Strait Street in Valletta, Malta
What you see in this photograph is a part of what could be the most notorious street in Malta. It is also one of my favorite streets and I wish I could go back in time to see it in its glory as I am almost sure that there is no possibility that it will be revived. So what's so special about Strait Street?

After WWII, when Malta was a British Colony, Strait Street was packed with bars and dancing clubs. It was also packed with all kind of sin. Prostitution was big here and it was something that the sailors loved. I never tire of hearing my grandma reliving her old days (mind you, she was not a prostitute) of dancing the night away and going back home drunk. 

Most of the banners for bars and clubs are still there today. You can see one in this photograph called Tico Tico. I am glad the banners and signs survived all this time and I hope that they won't be removed. Who said people didn't know how to have fun back then huh? I think fun was more pure than nowadays and I will give anything I have to at least go back in time even if it's just for a day.

This photograph was captured on my iPhone using the Hipstamatic app. Some minor editing was done in PS CS4. Settings for Hipstamatic were BlacKeys B&W/Lucifer IV.

No comments:

Post a Comment