Monday, October 31, 2011

A New Life to Create

Metropolitan Museum, New York City

Stained glass window in New York City
"Each of us is carving a stone, erecting a column, or cutting a piece of stained glass in the construction of something much bigger than ourselves." Adrienne Clarkson

Have you ever met anyone who said anything negative about stained glass? Well so far, I have not met that someone and I pray that I won't. 

I have always been fond of this type of art mainly because I am coming from a country that has a least one church in every town (sometimes even two or three) and these churches come with a lot of work of art, stained glass included.

This piece here in the picture is located at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. There is a sense of mysticism surrounding it and I have felt close to it since the very first time I saw it. I have to admit though, that the place it's located at makes it seem a little out of place but on the other hand that is what makes it more eye catching. You just can't miss it. Imagine you are walking around glass enclosures with small glass pieces exhibited and then right in front of you, you see this enormous stained glass piece.

This black and white photograph was captured on my iPhone using the Hipstamatic app. Some minor editing was done in PS CS4. Settings for Hipstamatic were BlacKeys B&W/Lucifer IV

No comments:

Post a Comment