Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Distorted Dreams

72nd Street, New York City

New York City on a rainy day
"All human beings are also dream beings. Dreaming ties all mankind together." Jack Kerouac
While this picture really does look like a distorted dream, I can assure you that it is pretty real. The picture was shot from 72nd Street on Broadway a few days before Hurricane Irene hit. 

Personally I think New York City looks best on cloudy/stormy days. The dark dull clouds make the red stone on several buildings pop more. It's like New York City becomes alive when it's raining. At least that's how I see it. But then again, rain for me is beautiful and mystical at the same time and that's mainly because I am coming from a country that gets almost 340 days of sunshine every year. 

Yes the picture is crooked and I wanted it to be that way. I wanted to portray an inward perspective, like you are being led into the engulfing clouds and ready to be swallowed in the storm. 

This photograph was captured on my iPhone using the Hipstamatic app. Some minor editing was done in PS CS4. Settings for Hipstamatic were BlacKeys B&W/Lucifer IV

No comments:

Post a Comment